Friday, February 25, 2011

PROPOSED FLAGS FOR THE WESTERN TATES

"But I am like an olive tree
flourishing in the house of God;
I trust in God's unfailing love
for ever and ever."
Psalm 52:8
Classic 
I like this one. It is vaguely reminiscent of a struggling banana republic, isn't it? Or perhaps a former colony in subsaharan Africa, which obtained freedom from Europe only to descend into a maddening cycle of sham elections, coups, and strongmen. Can't you just see it flying over a presidential palace, which stands in stark, gleeming contrast with the surrounding slums and shanties. Sandbag barricades and whip-thin men with AK-47's stand beneath the flag near a large, bullet-riddled mural of the great leader, and U.N. Peacekeepers patrol the streets in advance of elections, the outcome of which are doomed to be viewed with suspicion.
The keepers of the western door.

Vote on which flag you like best in the poll to the right.

9 comments:

The Fredricksons: Brian, Britney, Salty, and Benji said...

I really liked the first and last, but, being a native Cali girl, I had to go with the last one. I mean...dang, I revealed my vote :(

LeoLee said...

Where do i get BlackJack chewing gum?

marlrini@gmail.com said...

I have Ps.52:8 & 9 hanging in my office with pictures of olives.
Definitely the winner!!!

Josh Tate said...

Sarah doesn't like the X on the first one. I like the X though. Maybe we could compromise on a Y pattern. Hmmm...

Josh Tate said...

Black Jack gum should be available just about everywhere. I would think that any supermarket worth its salt would carry the finest chewing gum in the nation. If the local supermarket doesn't carry it then you might have to try a candy store. Happy hunting!

The Sauce said...

Your dad sends me Blackjack regularly in the mail, but we don't have it anywhere around here. Might be only regionally available I guess?
If I show a big spike in cavities over the coming years, it'll be because of the delectable things your dad mails me, Astro. :)

Josh Tate said...

Alright, well the results are in, and the winner is flag #1 with seven votes. The runner up was flag #4 depicting a modified version of the CA State flag with 5 votes. Flag #3 garnered 4 votes, and #2 was the clear loser with a paltry 2 votes.

Unfortunately, Sarah doesn't like the color red or the X design so it's back to the drawing board. Once completed, I'll bring you the official flag of the Western Tates- our nation of 6- and the Bible is our only constitution.

Tate out.

LeoLee said...

Yes! I voted for flag design #1

Abigail said...

Perennially late to the party, I also like flag #1. And I LOVE blackjack gum! Maybe you could subtly incorporate it into your flag?