Friday, June 24, 2011

A BFZ SEX TALK- THE PROBLEM OF SIN

Dear Kids,

I need to apologize to you for something. It's not exactly my fault, but I will apologize just the same because unfortunately I'm not entirely blameless in the matter either. Your Mom and I have passed on to you a fatal genetic condition which runs in our family. We went ahead with our plans to conceive you even though we knew there was a 100% chance that you would also be born with this fatal condition. I know how you must feel. I felt the same way when I was first told by my parents. This condition is inextricably woven into the very fabric of your DNA, and if you don't seek help for it you will die. It has run in our family for untold generations, and has been the cause of a lot of pain and misery down through the years. As your Father, who loves you very much, I'm saddened to think of you having to struggle with the symptoms of this disease. I too have struggled.

I am speaking of course of the problem of sin.

This disease has numerous symptoms- principally sinful cravings, desires and thoughts (Eph. 2:1-3), manifested in sinful conduct, which lead inevitably to death (Rom. 3:23 and 6:23). Don't be suprised when these symptoms flare up, or when you witness others suffering the ravages of this horrible disease. Such symptoms are common (1 Cor. 10:13) to all of us who have descended from that old rascal, Adam (1 Cor. 15:21-22).

Thankfully, there is a cure. In Romans 10:9 it says, "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Jesus voluntarily took our disease onto himself and suffered its consequences so that we could be freed from its dread grip. Jesus is the only cure. I pray that your hearts will always hum to the tune of God's will. Your Mom and I have prayed for your salvation since even before you were born, and it is our greatest desire for you that you would grow up to be sincere followers of Christ as we are. I pray also that the fruit of the Spirit; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control would grow to maturity in your lives. Sometimes, I am actually moved to tears in my prayers for you.

Resist what is evil. Embrace what is good. If you stumble, know that you are forgiven. Don't dwell on failure, but get up, dust yourself off, and press on toward the goal, Christ-likeness.

Your Loving Father

No comments: