Wednesday, May 26, 2010

ALONE TIME

My four year old daughter, Lucy, has been asking me take her out for some "alone time" for several months now. I'm not sure how she got the idea, but I think she came up with it entirely on her own. Several times a week she would bring it up and ask when we were gonna "go have our alone time." You can only say "sometime soon," so many times before it becomes a little too "Cat's in the Cradle and the Silver Spoon." So on Tuesday we had our alone time. At Lucy's request, I wore a suit and cologne. I'm not a cologne guy, but I did have some aftershave, which I applied generously to my bearded visage. As you can see, Lucy wore a beautiful dress.
These shiny and seldom-worn shoes got the nod for the occasion.

Also at Lucy's request, we went to Cafe Aroma. Both of the women in my life love Cafe Aroma although it's not my favorite. We both ordered bagels with a cinnamon roll.

"Lucy, what do you want to be when you grow up?"

"A Ballerina Teacher."

"Where are you gonna live?"

"Next to the Ballerina school."

"Where is the ballerina school gonna be?"

"Next to your house."

"Oh, and what town is that in?"

"Daddy! The same town as you."

"Do you think you'll be married?"

"I think so."

"To who?"

"Joel White."

"Lucy, what is the scariest thing in the world?"

"I think probably a bear."

"If you could have any pet what kind would you want?"

"Cat"

"Not a bear?"

"Daddy!!!"
I think my outfit looked very much like that of Father Bear from the animated television series "Little Bear." I hope that wasn't scary for Lucy.

Lucy drew a picture of us together on our date. She sticks out her tongue when she's concentrating. It's adorable.
After lunch, we drove down to the Candy Cupboard.
"I want this, Daddy."




We both got shaved ices. Lucy's was strawberry & blueberry and mine was lime & coconut. Lucy suggested that we take our shaved ices down to strawberry creek. So we did. It was pretty down there. Lucy and I eventually settled on some sunny boulders and finished off our shaved ices before heading home.
Now the boys want them some "alone time," although I think they mostly just want shaved ices and cinnamon rolls.
My goose.

7 comments:

lisa d said...

Adorable. I can very clearly remember my dad taking me to the zoo-sans those pesky three brothers- when I was five. Well done.

Anonymous said...

melts my heart

Beth said...

This is probably my favorite post ever. Also, Joel White is a solid choice.

P.S. my word verification is den tate. That's pretty awesome and applicable.

The Fredricksons: Brian, Britney, Salty, and Benji said...

You DO bear (pun intended) a remarkable resemblance to Father Bear. Of all the cartoon fathers, he is quite wonderful, even if his job takes him away from home so often.

BeckyLove said...

by far the best father bear ever. Good job.

Joel Tom Tate said...

Joel does this with the girls. He also asks questions, records them and we put them in their baby albums. You are great father!

The Sauce said...

I'll take her. Sold.
Josh, you're awesome.
I love seeing her hair growing back too. Spiky pigtails.