Thursday, May 6, 2010

IN THE KITCHEN with Josh Tate

In this edition of "IN THE KITCHEN," I am going to teach you how to make a bag omelette. I do have to admit that before writing "omelette" on the bag I had to look it up in the dictionary to make sure I was spelling it correctly. As it turns out there are two acceptable spellings of "Omelette" in English- the other is Omelet. I went for the fancier form of the word because I'm sassy like that. You feelin' me? Speaking of being fancy, a bag omelette is the epitome of class. If you ever want to impress some upper-crust member of high society the bag omelette is the way to go. I have it on good authority that this is how the Queen of England prefers to have her omelettes prepared.
First crack two eggs into a zip-lock bag, and squish them up inside...
...like so.

Then toss a bunch of stuff into the bag with the eggs. Sarah sauteed up some mushrooms and onions for our bag omelettes, but you don't need to be that fancy.
We also had some ham, cheese and green peppers on hand. Anything you like in your omelettes can be thrown in.
Just toss 'em in and squish them up with the eggs...
...until it looks like so.
Then drop the bag into boiling water for 13-15 minutes.

After 13-15 minutes a perfect omelette will slide out onto your plate.
Then enjoy. You're welcome!


(Special thanks to my friends, Bob and Lynne Leih, for first introducing this to me. It's a hit with large groups, because everyone can make their own custom omelette and they can be prepared simultaneously. Just toss as many bags into the pot as will fit. Last night for our small group Bible study we probably had a dozen bags going at once.)

7 comments:

Griffen said...

Nothing quite so delicious sounding as something "sliding" out onto your plate after 13-15 minutes.

Josh Tate said...

Classy, right?

Mom 8X said...

The idea is good, but I'd have a problem with cooking it in a plastic bag.

Anonymous said...

Im with Mom 8X. The bag omelette is no doubt tasty and convenient, but what are your feelings on the possible toxicity of the plastic being heated for so long?

Jamie said...

This is perfect! And I'm pretty sure they sell "BPA" free plastic bags now.

Annie said...

I love it! Thanks Josh!

sarah said...

The BPA of bags vs. the atery-clogging power of butters or even MARGARINES that are used to traditionally make omelettes may be an interesting discussion.