Friday, May 21, 2010

ARTS AND CRAFTS with Josh Tate

In this installment of ARTS AND CRAFTS we are going to demonstrate how to boil down a deer skull so it can be put on display in a nature exhibit. (Gotta give a shout out here- I was first introduced to the art of boiling down skulls by former outdoor ed. instructor and good friend, Lisa Richard.)
First, find a dead deer. If there are no dead deer to be found then by all means kill a live one. This one got hit by a car before limping down into Camp Maranatha where it was evidently finished off by a pack of coyotes behind one of our meeting halls.
Here are the tools you will need for the first part of the project- a block of wood, a saw, latex gloves, and some Vicks Vapo Rub.
Before getting to work, apply the vapo rub generously to your upper lip and around your nostrils (this is a trick I learned from my days as a police officer. Don't dwell on that too much.). That deer had been down for a while (it was pungent lemme tell ya) and the vapo rub really helps with the smell. (Mike Rowe eat your heart out.)
Let's do this thing!
I would also recommend latex gloves that cover the wrists.
Position the block of wood under the deer's neck just ahead of the shoulder so it is easier to saw off the head.
Then get right to work. No half-measures, get in and get out.


Success! Surprisingly, success smells like vapo rub.
Next time I'll demonstrate how to boil down the skull.
To Be Continued...

3 comments:

al'xae said...

"First find a dead deer"... I about fell out of my chair! Thanks JT!

LeoLee said...

yes this made me luagh when i saw vicks in your nostrils. i like your shirt btw. Team Tate!

The Fredricksons: Brian, Britney, Salty, and Benji said...

This disgusts me. If you could see my crinkled up stink face, it would confirm what I just said. Disgusting.

BTW: thanks for correcting me on the strawbrie thing. My bad.