Friday, April 23, 2010

I LIKE IT.

In the nearly seven years that I have been a Father, my kids have brought me countless "works of art"- scribbles, drawings, paintings, etc... You know the sort. I usually try and find something nice (and sincere) to say about them before stuffing them into my pockets or using them as a bookmark. When I clean out my pants at the end of the day they are sometimes stuffed with their precious offerings. It really is very sweet. I love that they think to make me something when I'm not around. They are so enthusiastic and sincere in their efforts. Who wouldn't be touched by that? But it has always been the spirit of the thing that I have enjoyed rather than the actual product.

But on Thursday I picked Lucy up at her pre-school and she handed me this painting that she said she had made for me, although I rather suspect that she would have told Mommy the same thing if she had been the one to pick her up that day. I had the good fortune to pick her up on Thursday however, and thus came into possession of this exceptional finger painting.

"Lucy, I really like this."

Now I'm no art critic. My friends, Kelly and Alexae Visel, could no doubt profer a more thoughtful critique of the merits of this piece, but I like it. On a basic level, I just really enjoy it. I'm not suggesting that lucy is some kind of burgeoning artiste or prodigy or anything like that. Oh no, she's not particularly talented, at least not more than your average four year old, but something about this painting struck me as better than the others I have received. It kind of gives off a feel of Old Mexico or something. It's kind of evocative to me in a way I can't readily define. The vertical brown lines resemble fence posts along a dusty track- a red dirt road- on a hot day.

I just like it.

Grown up Lucy, if you are reading this years from now, in the future, I liked your painting. I really did.

3 comments:

Griffen said...

Frame that. Exceptional. Looks like Nomadic Maasai traversing the valley.

sharon said...

And grown up Lucy, you were far more tallented than the average 4 year old.

al'xae said...

It does have a certain Mark Rothko sensibility to it...
http://www.ubaguito.us/wp-content/uploads/markrothko3.jpg
I like it too.