Monday, June 14, 2010

CAMPING IS GOOD TIMES.

This past weekend we celebrated a successful end to the kids' school year by going camping with some of our friends at Hurkey Creek. Some of you long-time followers of the blog might remember the last time we did this a couple of years ago. The kids all agree that camping out in the great outdoors is way more fun than camping in our living room, but the kids also agree that camping in our living room is more fun than sleeping in their room. I also really enjoy camping, although, as I have stated previously , in order to enjoy camping to the fullest I would have to need to camp.

This was our home for the weekend. I like our tent. We originally bought it at a sporting goods store in VT for $99.99 with the idea that when we moved out to CA we would camp across America. We ended up camping out exactly once during the entire trip in Ohio. The rest of the time we mostly stayed with friends and family. We would have camped out in Nebraska were it not for the tornado warnings and the coffe-black sky.

Hurkey Creek flows past the campground. On Saturday afternoon I took some of the older kids for a hike along the stream. Lucy and her friend, Sylvan, thought it would be fun to twinkle their toes in the water.



The boys just looked on.



Our friend, Marin, brought stuff for Smores. It wouldn't be camping without Smores, right?








Hot!!!


Here is one of the six marshamallows I ate this past week. It was strawberry flavored.

Jack loves him some marshmallows.



Our camping companions were the Whites (Josh, Emily and their kids), Marin Campbell (and her kids) and Chris and Katie Bayer. Camping out makes me wish I could live for a while as part of a nomadic community. I think there would definitely be an upside to living like that. Being out in nature, hanging out around the fire, doing things communally. I can see how it might be nice if you enjoyed the other people in your party.



I wish I had taken more pictures, but I don't want to be that guy who's always ruining things by introducing a camera to conversations around the fire and stuff. Ah well, I hope it was enough to give you a sense of the good time we had. I love our friends. God has blessed us abundantly in the friend department.

We snapped this picture just before collapsing the last tents and heading home. In what is becoming a Hurkey-Creek-campout-tradition Millie was sprayed by a skunk the night before, and a fair amount of the skunk juice also made it onto that red tent in the background which belongs to Marin and her girls. I kind of like the smell of skunk if it is thinly diffused (I think it smells a little like lemon meringue pie), but Marin didn't seem to enjoy it that much. The skunk isn't the only reason you can be thankful that smell-o-vision hasn't been invented yet. I was definitely ready for a shower.

3 comments:

The Fredricksons: Brian, Britney, Salty, and Benji said...

Gosh, I hope Becky isn't offended by your remark about being "that guy."

No, but really, Hurkey Creek never disappoints. Great place. Great people. As for the skunks, when Brian and I stayed overnight there last summer, he slept outside on the ground by the fire. And apparently he awoke in the night to a parade of skunks walking not 5 feet from him. I was safely tucked away inside the Jeep. Thankfully Brian did not startle them, and he remained un-stenched.

Ah, Hurkey Creek. So many memories.

Josh Tate said...

I loved camping there with the guys form the small group. Good memories, indeed. Miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

Iam glad you had a good time U you enjoyed your treat buta true smore is never made with strawberry marshmallows, (whatever they are) & the chocolate must never be so thick that it remains unmelted. I don't like to be legalistic but this goes way beyond orthodoxy. Smores are not something I take lightly as a matter of fact, I have requested of my sons, smores be toasted over my gravesite by the mourners as a memorial. Aunt Marl