Monday, January 24, 2011

DUELING INSURANCE SPOKESMEN


It amazes me that on just about any given commercial break, and on any given channel you will encounter one or more of these insurance spokesmen. I find the different approaches to sell insurance very interesting. Right at the outset, and in the interests of full-disclosure, I have to disclose that we go with FLO. Our 2002 Astro Van is insured by Progressive and I don't have any complaints. I kind of like Flo, and progressive is about the same as every other insurance company I have ever dealt with. I send them money. They send me a little card, and I forget all about them until I accidentally rear-end a crappy late-model sedan on the way to jury duty in Riverside. 
This guy is solid, is he not? Every time he tells me that I would be "in good hands with Allstate," I think seriously about changing from progressive. I want to be in good hands!!! He's so sincere and honest about it. He clearly cares about me and my family. I suspect that he may be employing some Jedi mind tricks during these commercials. If he told me, in that honest, straightforward way of his, that these are not the droids I was looking for. I am confident that I would simply parrot back to my fellow strom troopers, "These are not the droids we are looking for."

Alright, the votes aren't totally in on this guy yet. He's got kind of a Kenneth from 30 Rock thing going, but I think the blue phone is genius. I like the commerical where he explains about the vanishing deductible to the girl on the park bench with the huge boulder hanging above her head, and also the one where he impetuously renames the company "NationPam."  The very fact that I remember these commercials would indicate that he is effective as a spokesperson. Yeah, I guess the votes are in. I like him. I'm not sure what the deal is with the phone though, but, as I said it, I like it. Plus, his enthusiasm is infectious. I'm definitely a fan of the Nationwide guy. "NationJosh is on your s...sosh?"
Why doesn't this guy have his own TV show? He's hilarious. Hands down the best insurance commercials on TV right now. I can't get enough of this guy. If the funniest commercial ended up insuring the most drivers we would all be insured by Allstate right now.
Remember the cave man? I have to confess I'm glad that's over. Geico has a way of overstaying its welcome. For example, the gecco.
America needs a break, Geico. We need a break. Not since that awful, grating duck from AFLAC has an insurance company so tried a nation's patience. It's time to retire the gecco.

Alright, let me unload about this guy. he's on TV constantly and I don't like him. He's creepy. Just creepy. He seems like the sort who would hit on your girlfriend right in front of you. Maybe even you wife! He is the worst of the insurance spokesmen. Worse even than the Geico gecco. With this guy as the face of the company, State Farm seems less like a good neighbor and more like a beady-eyed fella on the sex offender registry. He seems a little fake too, doesn't he? Like he's putting on airs, and his faux, coffee-house-chic demeanor comes off to me as kind of pretentious and a little too slick. Be real with me like that Jedi from the Allstate commercials. I don't care if State Farm insures more drivers than Geico and Progressive combined. I am not picking up what they are laying down. I'll stick with Flo. State Farm loses this duel in my opinion.


15 comments:

LeoLee said...

I agree in every sense of this post. Except Flo. I'm annoyed by her sometimes.

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

You forgot the General. That little guy won't quit until he gets me the best insurance rates online while saving me time.

Steve said...

Can't stand Flo, REALLY can't stand that simpering Nationwide guy. Just posted about him on Facebook actually (as Job well knows).

But I'm with you on both Allstate guys and the State Farm Southie.

As for substance, GEICO saved me a TON, so I'm sticking with them.

Beth said...

That Mayhem guy was Liz Lemon's boyfriend on 30 Rock for a long time. So yes, he's hilarious and he does get some TV work aside from commercials.

Josh Tate said...

I can't fault anyone for being annoyed by Flo. In truth, I think the only reason why I like her is because she represents the company I am currently doing business with. I suffer from unreasonable brand loyalty at times. I have chosen to like Flo, although I agree that she doesn't merit my appreciation.

Flo is interesting because she is obviously meant to appeal to people who are intimidated by the process of finding car insurance. I am not intimidated by insurance companies or the process of obtaining car insurance so I am inclined to feel a tad patronized by her. I resonate most with Allstate's approach so perhaps I represent their target market. I don't think you or I are who Flo is trying to reach.

Josh Tate said...

Job, you're right! How could I forget the General? I love how he is prosecuting a one man war in his RV.

marlrini@gmail.com said...

well, I have been told by more than one person that I remind them of Flo. What does this say about me?

The Sauce said...

Joshua:
Mayhem guy was also a primary character in the 3 season Terminator inspired hit "The Sarah Connor Chronicles". Naturally Job and I watched all three seasons in about a week. He's great, though, huh?

Steve said...

I need to note that the other State Farm commercials -- where agents are summoned by magical incantation -- are outstanding. "And can I get a hot tub??"

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

Outstanding, Steve? I suppose that's true in that they stand out, but in the spirit of the word they are simply not...outstanding.
And I'm sure state farm's agents truly, madly, deeply resent those commercials and what they might encourage their clients to think of them.

The Sauce said...

This was NO place for a non-attributed, casual Savage Garden reference, honey. shameful.
You've derailed an otherwise critical debate.
(I don't have TV).

Steve said...

Outstanding: they stand out from the pack. My role is not to ponder their effect on insurance agents' psyches.

Anonymous said...

Nice post, I found this on google

Anonymous said...

Thanks for how does whole life insurance work sharing this blog. This is really helpful for me. I term life insurance age 41 would gladly share this to others.This blog would also aid them in so many ways.

Anonymous said...

I have read most of them and got a lot from them.

type 1 diabetes life insurance
california life insurance company