Tuesday, January 18, 2011

UNINSPIRED

In English, the word "inspire" means to breathe in. It speaks of taking something into yourself that is not of yourself. It is the opposite of "expire," which of course means to breathe out.

Inspiration and creativity are a strange duo. I have learned that they can't be denied when they come knocking, but neither can they be made to perform on demand like a circus bear. I don't believe they can be conjured through force of will.

You might suspect that I am waxing pretentious a bit here, but I have no delusions of grandeur as I write.  I know that I am not a creative genius, but I do enjoy very much being creative. I also enjoy playing soccer, but I know that I am no Pele. That is my relationship to creativity.

Tonight I want very much to be creative. The kids are in bed. Sarah is watching TV. I have just finished a bit of course work, and I have unfettered access to this computer and the internet. I want to write something funny or interesting, but all my efforts are falling flat. I give up. I will spare you, my faithful readers, the product of my mediocre efforts, and I will live to blog another day.

1 comment:

Annie said...

LIve on, faithful blogger, live on!!!