Sunday, January 30, 2011

THERE'S A DAY COMING...

This thing I am trying to articulate, to shape through words into meaningful expression, I am concerned it may come off to some of you as the stuff of a chemical imbalance. I have long suspected that not everything in my mind is screwed down as tight as it should be, but this experience has been too constant, too sustained, and far too positive. If this is the stuff of imbalance, a simple departure from normal brain function, than I never want to return again. But I don't think that's what I'm experiencing. In fact, I only draw the comparison to describe how dramatic the departure has been. Am I a deluded mad man? No, but I do hear a voice, perhaps not audibly, but all the same the message is being received. God has been talking to me. Recently I have wanted to fill, overflow, and wander off into the woods where I can give full, uninhibited voice to the ideas in my head and the feelings they stir in my heart. For about the past month I have entered into every day and every interaction like I am rounding the corner for the first time. There's a day coming.

I’ve walked away
On many nights,
Quiet as a cloud,
Across the field,
And into the woods,
Beneath the moon
With shoes still wet
From the water’s edge,
And with words rising in my throat
Like the contents of a shaken bottle,
Ready to burst from my frame
If they could find no other escape
Than the feeble door of my lips.

In the liberty of solitude
I have often said things
I would not have said
Where ears could catch them.

Oh, the words I have loosed
And the things I have confessed
In the woods at night
With only God for an audience.

2 comments:

marlrini@gmail.com said...

I will dance
I will sing
To be mad
For my King
Nothing Lord
Is hindering
This passion in my soul.

To feel this way in a sustained way, oh that we were all such mad men. Let me feel this way too. Amen

LeoLee said...

I stumbled upon this same poem in the ancient archives http://widjiwat.blogspot.com/2010/01/walking-away.html