Sunday, January 16, 2011

OFF THE PATH AND INTO THE FOREST

Most minds are like paths criss-crossing a forest. The paths represent predictable channels, well-worn ruts, and between the paths stands an untrammeled and unexplored wilderness of ideas and possibilities. Sometimes when I am driving along the freeway I will glance over at the face of a passing motorist. Their blank, glassy expressions betray the fact that they are off wandering some tired old path. That's what I do when I drive. Through reptition, the mechanics of driving come as naturally to us as lifting a spoon. It is not an activity that we need to think about as we do it and as we drive our minds are free to wander. The trails are always the same. The view rarely changes.

All paths should have a destination, but mine have traditionally run in a loop, doubling back, and covering the same ground over and over again without ever going anywhere or accomplishing anything. Paths which should serve to access marvelous places have become an end to themselves, a mind numbing and tedious circle.

Sometimes it takes something wildly unexpected, something totally out of left field, to chase a man off of his established paths, and into the forest.

4 comments:

LeoLee said...

Nice post. I like the analogy.

LeoLee said...

I have a new blog, by the way.

Steve said...

Your assessment of your fellow drivers' mental states makes me wonder what facial expressions you would prefer. What signifies true insight or fresh thinking? A furrowed brow? Tongue stuck out? Maniacal grin? And most importantly, which of these is most conducive to traffic safety?

Josh Tate said...

No criticism in the assessment. Just observation. If anything it is a statement about my mind as I drive. I often suspect of others what I know to be true of myself.