Monday, October 10, 2011

DANNY ROUHIER MAKES ME LAUGH

I went for a walk back through the BFZ's archives recently, and I was amazed at how often I used to blog about football. Out of sensitivity to you my beloved readership I have cut WAY back on the football posts, but I'm still every bit as big of a fan. This time of year I consume massive amounts of football coverage. Love it!

This year my beloved Redskins are exceeding expectations, and, although it's still early, people are actually talking about them possibly winning their division. When they start praising the Skins I feel like screaming at the TV for fear that such talk will jinx everything. I am slow to embrace the possibility that they may be good this year. I have had my hopes crushed too many times.

The worst of all the analysts and pundits though is the relentlessly positive Jon Gruden (photo above). He's so over the top and enthusiastic that I'm tempted to say he's serially insincere. Sometimes I wonder if he has a genuine bone in his whole body. Stand up comedian and fellow redskins fan, Danny Rouhier, captured the essence of Gruden's disingenuous style back during the darkest night of Redskins history- The Zorn Era. Check it out HERE. Rouhier used to do a video every week wherein he would hilariously lampoon the hapless Redskins. It made those dark years bearable and was always good for a laugh. Thank you Danny Rouhier!

2 comments:

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

Haha...that clip was genius.

"I'd love to build that flat-top from scratch"...he was spot on.

For my money I like Chris Collinsworth. I think he knows the game, the rules and the NFL corporate culture better than anyone on TV.
I think they should call him Chris "The Color" Collinsworth.

Josh Tate said...

My favorite analysts are Steve Marriuci (sp?) and Chris Berman. Those guys are the tops. I don't like any of the guys who do color commentary during the games itself. The NFL desperately needs somebody to step into John Madden's old role.

I also really enjoy Skip Bayless. You may disagree with him, but that man is a refreshing bit of raw honesty in a sea of hyperbole and polish.