Monday, February 15, 2010

ORANGES

Several times a year, Umpa, Sarah's Grandfather, gives me a sack full of oranges from his groves up in Lindsay, CA. It wasn't until I moved out to So Cal. that I discovered how amazing Oranges can be. I grew up on store-bought oranges, which always left me with kind of a ho-hum impression. I have discovered though that oranges picked ripe straight off of an orange tree are an entirely different fruit. Umpa knows how much I like them and it's very thoughtful of him to remember me in this way. I like to stuff a couple of oranges in my pockets when I go on walks. After receiving a delivery of oranges, you can more or less track the course of my walks, hansel and gretel style, by the little pieces of orange rind littering the way. I love it when the rind is thick and comes off in nearly one piece. That is very gratifying. This latest batch of oranges, delivered by Nanny who is up for a President's day visit, are especially sweet. I often find myself reflecting on how good and creative God is when I eat oranges, and then I think of 1 Corinthians 2:4, "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love him." I look forward to seeing how God will improve on the orange in eternity. I love the God who spoke oranges into being and who allows me to eat them worshipfully.

No comments: