Saturday, April 23, 2011

I'M BACK!

Despite Sheriff Lovely's unlawful efforts to seize control of the BFZ while I was away I'm back and I have sent sent him whimpering into the night like a frightened jackal. Special thanks to my Brother, Job, for the able job that he did filling in for your's truly while I was out of town.
I just spent the most wonderful week in Monterey, CA with Sarah. I mean wonderful in the truest sense of the word. Break it down with me into its component parts- WONDER + FULL= WONDERFUL. Full of wonders.  All five senses- sight, smell, hearing, taste and touch- were pushed to the point of exhaustion trying to take it all in, and I doubt very much that I am a capable enough writer to distill the experience down into words. I might try a little though. Perhaps I do not need to reinvent the wheel. Steinbeck already did the job of committing the Monterey experience to paper in "Cannery Row" and "Tortilla Flats." So if you would like to take a literary vacation to Monterey, I think Steinbeck would make an excellent guide. After all. anyone who has gained an appreciation for reading has also provided himself with a means of escape and a cheap vacation.

Speaking of the five senses, how amazingly extravagant is the Creator of this world who authored the colors of a sunset and poppies in the dunes, the smell of wood smoke on the beach and good things cooking, the sound of waves crashing and sea lions barking, the taste of crab and salt water taffy, the joys of sex or the feel of a hot tub on a cold night? He didn't just give us the minimum, the barest essentials that we need to survive and propagate the earth. No, he gifted us with all of these extraordinary things and more besides. He's extravagant and wonderfully generous, and the trip was made worshipful for me in that every moment was full of an awareness of the Creator who purposefully made these things to be enjoyed, and in enjoying them I also worshiped.

Posts to follow...

No comments: