Wednesday, January 9, 2013

MIDNIGHT CITY by M83

You know that feeling when someone is scratching your back and their nails find that perfect spot? When they settle on an itch you didn’t even know you had and begin to scratch round and round and round like a cyclone of satisfaction?

“Oooh, Yeah! Right there!”

If you know what that feels like, then you also know the feeling when their nails move on before you’re ready for them to.

“No, no, no! Go back!”

The other night I was driving home in the car when Midnight City by M83 came on the radio. That song was scratching an itch I didn’t even know I had. It succeeded in creating a mood within me that I can’t seem to reach myself. It’s otherwise inaccessible. My fingers just…won’t…reach! It’s an empty song, I know that, like a Gregorian chant to a vapid lifestyle- “The city is my church,”- but the mood it creates was scratching an itch somewhere in the middle of the back of my consciousness where I can’t seem to reach. It’s a difficult thing to articulate fully, maybe because we can only explain that which we understand. I can’t lay my intellect on the spot any more than my fingers.

But then there’s that awful saxophone at the end of the song. It’s like the nails moving on before I am ready for them to. “No, no, no! Go back!”

No comments: