Tuesday, December 20, 2011

PROSTRATE IN THE SAND

I have often asked people this question- "If you could go back in time and see anything from the Old Testament  what would you want to see?"

It's an interesting exercise. Do you opt for sheer spectacle or theological significance? I would have to say that far and away the most common answer is the parting of the red sea. The worst answer I have ever heard was "Bathsheba bathing." My pat answer has always been to see the garden before the fall in all its perfection. Some people want to see God or Angels, but I have always personally rejected any opportunity to lay my sullied eyes on God or his emissaries. I don't want to waste my one shot at time travel prostrate in the sand yelling "I'm unclean!" Since the fall nobody has been in the very presence of God without feeling a great deal of fear. God is not safe but He is good.

What would you choose?

2 comments:

Beth said...

I think the Bathsheba response is hilarious. Was the person in earnest, or were they teasing?

steve said...

Of note:

Job's blog: he picked Samson slaying 1,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass, followed by Elijah battling the prophets of Ba'al

A similar Bweinh poll: the Bweinh!tributors settled on "Creation" as the top Old Testament moment, followed on that list by Elijah v Ba'al, and the Tower of Babel