Saturday, March 12, 2011

A FEW MORE UNRELATED THOUGHTS INSPIRED BY BEAR GRYLLS

I think my favorite part of any given episode of Man vs. Wild is when Bear makes a shelter. What little boy doesn't dream of making a shelter in the woods. Especially making one out of necessity! I think the act of carving a bit of comfortable space out of the wilderness speaks to that desire inherent in mankind to subdue the earth, to excercise dominion over it. I guess I shouldn't overthink it though. It just seems cool to go out in the woods and fashion a shelter of some sort. I have already told Bowden that the next time we go back to Vermont we are going to take the boat up to the overhang at Chipmans Point, construct some kind of shelter there, and pass the night sleeping where cannibals and savages used to live. I have documented, on this very blog, my regret over not staying the night there the last time I had an opportunity. I will have to remedy that mistake the next time I am back in the 802.
(I don't know who this gentleman is, but I liked his shelter. It looks like a more comfortable habitation than my birch bark wigwam, but not as cool looking though.)


1 comment:

The Fredricksons: Brian, Britney, Salty, and Benji said...

I buy plain m & m"s on road trips. They help keep me alert. I use my teeth to chip off each side of the coating, then eat the center.

Oh, and while I love me some peanut m&m's, I have recently come to love the peanut butter ones.

And don't waste your time on the pretzel ones. Nasty. Or the coconut. They are a disgrace to the legacy that is m&m.