Wednesday, April 24, 2013

AN UPDATE ON MY SHOES

It has been a while since I brought you a report on my shoes. During my last update I reported that my friend Sherry Christiansen had gifted me with two new pairs of shoes, which brought the total number of my shoes donated by Sherry to three. If you'll recall Sherry is also the lead suspect in the case of the mysterious flip-flops, which were anonymously donated through the mail. I know what it's like to walk a mile (several miles?) in Sherry's shoes. The Sperry Top Siders, which were among the shoes donated by Ms. Christiansen instantly leapfrogged all of my other footwear to assume the coveted role of Captain of the shoes. I loved them, but sadly they went the way of all shoes. I walked those poor things to death. I wore them until sizable holes opened up along their canvas sides and the soles became so thin I could feel the heat of the asphalt through them. However, they were such a noble and excellent pair of shoes that I decided to confer upon them a rare honor. Although their condition has rendered them unfit to wear them around town I have decided to mail them to the Lake House back in Vermont so I can use them as swimming shoes the next time I'm out.





Swimming shoes? The bottom of the lake is littered with all kinds of pokey things such as fresh water mussel shells, spiny water chestnuts, and occasionally broken glass as well thus necessitating the use of swim shoes.

Be advised, my Doc Martens have been promoted to interim Captain of the Footwear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this update. This is possibly my favorite running feature on your blog.

Tricia

Josh Tate said...

The ever changing line up and its attendant drama is like a soap opera. If you flew into the bummer-free zone's international airport, got a hotel room and kicked back in front of the TV there would definitely be some 24 hour programming dedicated to my footwear.

Whatever tragedies might befall my mighty kicks my feet are always fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

Keep on rockin' Tricia!