Saturday, September 24, 2011

HUMOR DOESN'T ALWAYS TRANSLATE

We are currently hosting a women's retreat here at Maranatha, which always makes me feel kinda funny because our staff is largely comprised of women, and when all the guests are women too I walk around camp feeling like I am the last man on planet earth. This weekend it's all women all the time, and last night as I came into the dining hall to welcome them on behlaf of the staff, I met a group of women who were seated near the door. They all greeted me, because most of them know me from previous retreats, and I said "You know...I just feel like I'm the ugliest lady at this retreat." Most of them laughed but some of them just looked at me with their heads cocked to one side like they either didn't get it or actually felt bad for me. I'm not sure what they thought of my joke. Sometimes humor just doesn't translate.

No comments: