Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A BFZ SEX TALK- ACCOUNTABILITY

You can check out the previous BFZ Sex Talks by following the links below:

#1- A Preface to "The Talk"

#2- Good Fire, Bad Fire

#3- The Problem of Sin

Dear Kids,

Beware the hidden place! If Satan cannot get you to call sin by another name, and if you will not be induced to continue openly and unashamed in it, then his next strategy is predictable- he will try to get you to continue in it secretly. It is always the enemy’s modus operandi to get you alone with your sin. He grins at hypocrisy and encourages man to live a divided, compromised, double life.

The prologue to many a sin is “No one will ever know,” and its epilogue, “No one must ever know.”

Spiritually speaking, a hidden place is a venom to the system. God will not be mocked and as the gulf between who you claim to be and who you are in reality widens it will become increasingly more difficult to enjoy intimate fellowship with God. Maintaining a hidden place carries other price tags as well. You will suffer for maintaining a hidden place. (Read Joshua chapter 7, Psalm 32, & Psalm 51)

(Permit me an aside- Speaking as your Father, who loves you more than you know, let me just say that I will count my parenting efforts a roaring success if you simply care about the subject matter of this post. Never mind the sins which occasionally ensnare us all. I forgive you those, and more importantly Jesus stands ready to forgive them as well. But do you even care? That is what this Father's heart wants to know about his kids who might be reading this in the future. Do you care about living a life that is pleasing to the Lord? With all my heart I hope so. I will do my part, as best as I know how, to raise you to be the sort of people who care. I just prayed Colossians 1:9-14 with you four in mind.)

Back in 2009 I wrote out a few thoughts on the subject of accountability in a post entitled “Some Thoughts on Being Naked.” (Check it out HERE, unless you don't care, but as I stated above I'm hopeful that you do.) I think accountability is the anti-venom for the hidden-place-poison. What Satan wants you to hide away in a secret shameful place God want to see dragged out into the light of day. Satan wants you to struggle with your sins alone, but God wants you to share that struggle with others. Satan grins on hypocrisy. He enjoys the misery that inevitably accompanies a double life,  but God desires you to find joy and freedom in a life of integrity. In confessing sin, and inviting a godly brother or sister into the reality of your struggle, you will find the chains of the hidden place broken and enjoy a new freedom and a new intimacy with Christ.

I hope you care.

Sincerely,

Your Loving Father

No comments: