Friday, September 30, 2011

WEATHER

It has been nearly seven and a half years since we moved out to CA from Vermont. I was heartsick for a while. I missed it back there, but given enough time California will seduce anyone. I'm not sure I could leave now without enduring some nasty withdrawal symptoms. I understand "California Dreaming" by the Mamas and the Papas. Even so, occasionally something will trigger that internal compass that points to New England, and I will find myself pining for her all over again. Today is such a day. As I type, rain is running off the roof and thunder is rolling down off the mountains. That smell, that rainy day smell, is blowing in through the open door, and all I can think about is images from my days in New England. They come and go in my mind with that perfect economy that belongs to great poetry. I could describe them for you, but I'd likely miss the mark. The rain has conjured up my sleeping desire for Vermont, and I'm at a loss as to how to bed it back down again.Ah well.

No comments: