Saturday, September 10, 2011

MY SHOES

 I have no doubt whatsoever that many of you will find the very idea of taking a pair of shoes (of unknown origin and with unknown fungal issues) out of Lost and Found objectionable in the extreme, but if I may quote my son Bowden, "A daredevil gotta do what a daredevil gotta do!" One of the many hats I wear here at the camp is managing the Lost and found. Our policy is to dispose of any item that goes unclaimed for after thirty days. As I was going through the mountains of abandoned clothes, towels and such I found a handsome pair of Steve Madden shoes (see photo below). I made them my own and now I can truly say that I have walked a mile in another man's shoes. They are still shaped to their last owner's feet and feel wrong every time I wear them, but I intend to purchase a product which may remedy that. Are you gellin'?
Until they are made to be more comfortable I don't anticipate they'll get many starts, but the team has taken a lot of hits over the summer so they may be thrown into the mix full-time soon. 
Currently, the Perry Ellis shoes are still the Captain of the footwear although their soles have worn so thin that I can feel the heat of the pavement on my feet as I walk. The Ducks and The Boat Shoes, which both formerly ranked as Captain, but have since been demoted to part-time, bit players due to rips which formed (here and here) have only gotten worse. Their rips have widened, and I have made the difficult decision to try and convert the Boat shoes into a kind of homemade, funky pair of flip-flops. It's going to be a dangerous operation, but it may just represent the last, best chance to save the Boat Shoes from being tossed. I'm shipping the Ducks to the Lake House for future use as a pair of swimming shoes (The bottom of Lake Champlain is littered with freshwater mussel shells which makes wearing an old pair of crummy shoes advisable when you go swimming.). I'll keep you posted.

No comments: