Friday, September 9, 2011

OVERHEARD THIS PAST SUMMER

Although I took most of the summer off from blogging I didn't stop accumulating overheards. I stealthily captured nearly two dozen of them as I went about my business. I have narrowed that down to these ten, which represent the best of the catch. The rest I have released back into the ether.

"Do you have any idea why the media is here?"
Hospital security guard to a nurse. Kaiser's Emergency Room in Moreno Valley, CA

"He is soooo not into you. He's into Jasmine. I told you that!"
Teenage female speaking rather insensitively to a second female of like age who was sitting down in the dirt and crying. Camp Maranatha- Idyllwild, CA

"It's weird because, like, all night I had the most amazing dreams, and I was, like, just trying to tell this kid about one of the dreams in the morning and he didn't get it. Ya know? I couldn't really, like, find the words I guess. I don't know. Do you know what I mean?"
Male camp counselor in conversation with a female camp counselor on the deck of the Ice Cream Parlor. Camp Maranatha-Idyllwild, CA

"He shoots! He scores!"
Yelled from the open, passenger-side window of a late model Ford pickup truck by a shirtless middle-aged man who had seconds before tossed an empty gatorade bottle from the aforementioned window which landed nowhere in particular and went rolling and clattering toward the edge of the road. As the truck drove off the man gave me a toothy grin before turning toward the truck's driver and asking "Did you see that?"
Maranatha Dirve- Idyllwild, CA

"What are you talking about? I love the smell of pine sap. I just don't like sitting in it."
Thirty-something female in conversastion with a male of like age who I assumed was her husband as the mounted the stairs toward the Red Kettle Restaurant. Idyllwild, CA

"They should post a warning on the way up the mountain that you may not want to go back home again. Seriously, I could live here."
Middle-aged female waxing enthusiastic about her love for Idyllwild and the mountains. Outside Fairway Market- Idyllwild, CA

"Who? Her? No! She's not the one I was talking about."
Twenty something male in conversation about a woman who was walking into the Post Office with a second male of like age outside of Gary's Deli. Gary's Deli- Idyllwild, CA

"Did you see that coyote, kids?"
Excited man speaking through the open window of a car to some kids seated in the back seat. Shell Gas Station- Idyllwild, CA

"Shock-shock! Push-push!"
Male nurse explaining to a patient (who was technically in my care and can verify that this actually happened) that if he didn't urinate he might go into cardiac arrest "or worse." It was weird. Name and location of facility withheld.

"I said I didn't want chocolate! D--- it! I specifically said no chocolate this time!"
Angry thirty-something female to a second female of like age who had run into the store apparently to get her a snack. She went on to explain that what she really wanted were "some wheat thins." Huh. Parking lot outside of Fairway market- Idyllwild, CA.

1 comment:

The Fredricksons: Brian, Britney, Salty, and Benji said...

There are a number of spelling mistakes. I'll overlook them. This time.

And my fave quote out of those is the one with the lady who said a sign ought to be posted. That's funny, right there.