Monday, May 30, 2011

BUILDING A STONE WALL

I have never built a stone wall, but someday I would like to. Seven years ago I even read a book on the topic. It had the unimaginitive title of "Building Stone Walls," but it offered numerous insights into the art and method behind their construction which I would not have thought of otherwise. I love the looks of an old stone wall. They are beautiful to me in a way that no other border can rival. They have a settled, heavy feel about them, which I enjoy, and I think they scratch an itch inside all of Adam's sons and daughters to exercise dominion over the earth. It's satisfying to see a straight and orderly line made from so many rough, irregular pieces. 

I remember that the book recommended collecting a large pile of rocks before getting started. The reason being that often times you will need to find a rock that has just the right shape, weight and size to fit a niche as you build, and it helps to have a large collection to select from.

I sometimes think of my posts like that- a collection of rough, irregular thoughts varying in shape, weight and size- and the BFZ is my rock pile, but what will I eventually build with them? I'm not sure, but the thought occurs to me that I would like to incorporate them into something straight and orderly someday.

2 comments:

rosie, hinting, said...

you should come to chico. we have stone walls around here. you'd like it.

Josh Tate said...

Chico! Chico! Chico!