Monday, May 16, 2011

FIRST FRUITS

As many of you know, for the past couple of years I have been pursuing a Masters of Divinity degree through on-line courses. When I first started exploring the idea of getting some formal Bible training I sought the advice of a friend who had been through the same program in which I am now enrolled. He had a surprising piece of advice for me, which I have taken to heart even though it has undoubtedly slowed my progress. He urged me to not take time away from my kids in order to pursue my studies. At the time the Spirit loaned weight to my friend's advice and impressed upon me the rightness of it all, but even so there have been many late nights when I questioned the wisdom of staying up until the wee hours of the morning. I would think things like, "Won't I still be taking time away from my kids when my tired body forces a nap tomorrow afternoon?" or "Won't I be taking something from my kids when I snap at them because I'm so worn-out and frazzled?"

Then a couple of weeks ago I was driving somewhere with Sarah, and she suggested that instead of staying up late at night I get up early in the morning to do my course work. Initially I rejected the idea as preposterous, but once again the Spirit stepped in, and loaned His weight to Sarah's advice. I decided to give it a try. It has proved to be a much better arrangement. Instead of giving God an empty tank, and a lets-knock-this-out attitude at the end of the day I am now able to enter my time of worshipful study with a full tank and a sharp, focused mind. Sometimes I start my studies when I used to finish them, but I'm making better progress and getting more out of it.

I'm surprised it didn't occur to me earlier. It's basically the first fruits principle- giving God our best. That's why Sarah and I tithe as soon as we are paid. That's why Ecclesiastes 12:1 says, "Worship now your creator in the days of your youth."

During this season of my life, time is a precious commodity. So that makes it a more precious offering. Every morning I boot up the computer, start the coffee, and lay a few hours on the altar.

2 comments:

marlrini@gmail.com said...

I am so glad you share stuff like this Josh.I have found it is so true, but the reminder is really encouraging.

Joel Tom Tate said...

Good stuff. John Wesley's sermon on sleep has had an effect on my discipline and he advises discovering what is the bare minimum of sleep your body requires and not permitting yourself any more than that amount.
Using those first early hours to a good purpose almost always results in a better spent day. It's counter-intuitive, but then so is the practice of pruning many of the immature apples off of the apple tree in early summer. It reduces the number of apples on the tree but dramatically increases the overall yield from the tree by the end of October.