Saturday, May 28, 2011

SEND ME YOUR OVERHEARDS

Although the postcard itself features an image from Oregon City, Oregon the postmark said it was sent from western New York. Thanks to my finely tuned investigative skills I was able to track down the postcard's author and I confirmed the NY origins of these overheards. So now the Bummer-Free Zone has received overheards from 2 out of 50 states (CA and NY)! Sadly, still only 1 out of 7 continents, but we're just getting started! Keep 'em coming!
These were some of the best overheards I have ever encountered. They are mysteriously dated 5/14/08, and the subject matter is intriguing to say the least. Initially I felt like I might be looking at exhibit A for the prosecution, but then I remembered that hearsay is inadmissible. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think an overheard would have to be classified as hearsay. Am I right about that?

Anyway, these overheards were snatched out of the air through an apartment window in New York State during May of 2008:

"Was I the reason that he got stabbed? No."

"You were there."

"Yeah...I mean, I wasn't the reason, but I might have been the catalyst. I mean, I didn't have to punch that kid, but I punched him like six times."

So if I understand this correctly the individual who originally uttered these statements was present when an unknown male was stabbed, and that an altercation precipitated the stabbing, during which the speaker punched a "kid" approximately six times.

Nice work anonymous! Some of the finest overhearing I have ever witnessed, and to think that you sat on these gems for three years. Wow! I'm glad you let the BFZ share them with the world.

1 comment:

Steve said...

At least in NY, statements of a party (such as a defendant) can be used for any reason whatsoever, as long as they were competently made (e.g., no coercion). The reason is that the hearsay rule is designed to ensure that an accused can confront his or her accusers, rather than face someone else's memory of a third-party's statement. But where the accusation comes from the accused, that concern evaporates.