Sunday, May 8, 2011

PROJECT FREE LUNCH UPDATE

 In the last installment of Project Free Lunch I reported a -$0.44 loss on my letter to the good people at PepsiCo. Well, the very next day I went to PO BOX 618 and found this package from the Pepsi mother ship waiting for me. I had given up on them too soon it would appear.
 It didnt contain any coupons for free (or discounted) pepsi as I had hoped, but it did contain magnets in the shapes of soda bottles featuring pepsi, pepsi max, and diet pepsi.
 It also contained a spiffy lanyard for my keys emblazoned with the pepsi logo.
Better than the magnets and lanyard though was this letter from Robin Harris who works in Pepsi's consumer relations department. I have faithfully transcribed Pepsi's response to my letter below. Enjoy.

Dear Josh,

Thank you for contacting PepsiCo. Your interesting letter was just sent to me and I'm happy to respond.

I've read lots of letters from Diet Pepsi drinkers but yours stands out. I've never before heard someone's loyalty to our product described in terms of being the ultimate request during their final meal before their execution. Whoa, Nellie!

Though you wanted to thank us for producing a great drink, I want to thank you for taking the time to write. Your fanaticism is inspiring and your allegiance is much appreciated.

Again, thanks for thinking of us. I hope that the upcoming summer months are good ones for you.

Sincerely,

Robin Harris
Team Lead Consumer Relations

My fanaticism inspires Pepsi! That's awesome. And although the value of the magnets and lanyard are difficult to estimate I'm gonna say that I at least got the cost of my $0.44 stamp back, which brings me to a return on my investment so far of $12.68. My next letter, which I intend to mail tomorrow, is going to the finest of pizzerias, The California Pizza Kitchen (who serves Pepsi instead of Coke by the way).

4 comments:

Tom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom said...

Josh Tate: [His] fanaticism is inspiring.

Josh Tate said...

Is this Tom Maxon?

Josh Tate said...

Even if you're not Tom Maxon, I want you to know that the BFZ is pro-Tom. You are safe here.